Tuesday, June 26, 2012

My love affair with markets

While traveling in Taiwan last year, I truly found what I enjoy the most when traveling in a new country or even city - visiting/shopping at the markets. In Thailand I had a ball at Chatuchak weekend market and in the streets of Surkhimvit with Raquel, despite the down pour of the monsoon season. In Phnom Penh, the Russian market did not disappoint with prices so low, you feel bad to even negotiate the prices any lower. Siem Reap was one of my highlights on our summer vacation last year. Great prices for clothes and accessories, phenomenal street food and luxurious foot messages for only $1, no jokes.


Floating market type shopping


don't these ever go out of fashion?
Street food/fruit - first holiday I have been on where I didn't pick up weight...
By the time I planned our trip to Taiwan with Catherine, I knew we simply had to visit the local markets there too, we ended up visiting 3 different ones and we went to one of them twice, thats how much I love them. I am not a shopaholic at all, not many women would dare say that out loud. But honestly I am not. I love the markets because I truly feel thats one of the places where you can really experience life like a local. You can sample delicious (and cheap) street food, shop for clothing and accessories which you can almost always bargain for, enjoy a free live gig or street performance and just soak up an amazing and bustling atmosphere.  

tasting the famous Dimsum for the first time- delicious actually
more delicious street food/fruit


Once you have been to a shopping mall or department store in one country, I feel like you have seen them all. The shiny tiled floors, the same franchised shops, over priced luxury stores that can sell one item and cover the months rent. No, thats not my type of shopping at all (with the exception of MBK mall in Bangkok, Thailand - that one is cool). 

MBK - the only exception to my rule so far

In Daegu, I found my own treasure dome, Seomun market and it fits the criteria of a great market. I haven't been nearly as many times as I would like, but the times I have been there, I have indulged in delicious Korean food (yes there is some), browsed around the great selection of quality clothing and accessories, picked up a few traditional Korean souvenirs to take home for gifts and just taken in the general sights, sounds and smells of Korean life. It's one of the places that makes me pinch myself and think WOW, I am an African living in Asia.  Seoumun Market never disappoints.
I was still new at using chopsticks as you can clearly see

but that didn't stop me from polishing it all up


The sweet couple that run this place-the food is so good, they have even been on TV
Unlike shopaholics, I hope my love affair for markets never ends. There is so much to explore, learn and take in. I am already on the hunt for markets for my next holiday. Destination soon to be revealed, still finalizing plans, can't wait :) I feel so blessed...

Question: What do you have to have to have to do when traveling to a new place?

Some photos courtesy of Catherine Stark.


No comments:

Post a Comment