Friday, July 13, 2012

smart phone love

Before coming to Korea, I didn't really have a smart phone. Sure my phone had a few capabilities, but all I ever used it for was to call, receive calls and send text messages and most importantly, it worked as my alarm clock. This is not because South Africa does not have great quality phones, in fact by the time I left, Blackberry had fully infiltrated the population and people were more than mad about BBM, just not me and I was okay with that.
Until I came to Asia of course. 


Not only is Korea home to technology giants like Samsung and LG, but I generally find telecommunication costs here far cheaper (except when you are making phone calls to your homeland) than what I was paying back home, no need to send "please call me" anymore. So finally after receiving my ARC card (just an id card that allows you to do stuff in the country like open cell phone contracts), my co- teacher, as my translator, and I headed to the stores. I got myself an LG of some sort which I later lost in Cambodia. Upon my return I had to settle the cost of the contract (insert super sad face here) and start a new contract -and got the later model, LG Optimus something something. Then the app's and games just started calling my name. I could not ignore the voices any longer.  Now I can't even imagine not having instant messaging tools like whatsapp on my phone. Some are really useful and make communicating cheaper and convenient and some are just there to keep me entertained on the subway to avoid the staring faces or the fascinated Koreans pulling my dreadlocks.  


This is my list of app's cool stuff on my phone that I am totally in love with and as far as I know they are all FREE. Now who doesn't like free stuff?


1. Whatsapp and Kakao talk (instant messaging to folks locally & at home) and I can insert pics & sound clips
2. Currency Converter (yes I do still convert some prices to Rands just for a reality check)
3. Metrics converter (because Americans still insist on talking in pounds, miles and Fahrenheit)
4.Sound hound (like a song?don't know who sings it? this is the guy for you)
5. My FitnessPal (calorie counter - when embarking on a health conscious lifestyle you kind of need the guy to tell you exactly what it is you are putting in your mouth - be warned, can be the bearer of bad news)
6. Sports Tracker (click start, enter activity you are doing e.g walking/cycling- and let the app tell you how many calories are on fire)
7. Draw Something (this one has subsided a bit but has really given doodling a bigger purpose - choose a word, draw a picture, send to friend to guess the word)
8. Sky-scanner - always browsing prices for flights to all sorts of crazy destinations - and sometimes home when feeling a little homesick.
9.Businfo - you know that awesome moment when you arrive at the bus stop and you see the bus coming from around the corner and you think perfect timing? Well you can create that feel-good moment every time! Just punch in the bus number or the bus stop name you will be catching the bus from, and it will tell you how many minutes away the bus is, so you can leave your house just in time!
10. Alarm clock - my lifeline! The best part about this alarm is that I can't turn it off with my eyes closed.
try doing that with your eyes closed :)
There are tons more things that I use my phone for : Holy bible, Facebook, email, Tripadvisor, google maps, Instagram, Twitter, Music - the list is endless.  Its really great that one compact gadget can do so much and I try to get as much value and use out of my phone as possible. But of late, I am also trying to be careful not to be too distracted by it that I can't even enjoy dinner and conversation with friends because quite frankly I think its rude to keep fidgeting with your phone when you are with company- so now, when I am having a cup of coffee with friends or even having a conversation on the subway with someone, I don't leave it on the table or stare at it trying to find something to do on it. Instead, I keep it tucked away in my handbag and resist checking messages unless I am alone or if I am expecting an important phone call or message or waiting on someone who is joining me who might need directions etc.

Question:
1. What apps/widgets/cool stuff does your phone do that makes your life easier?
2. Does n't it annoy you when someone is constantly fidgeting on their phone at inappropriate times - especially in a movie theatre or when you are trying to have a conversation with them?

Final thoughts
Lets try to appreciate technology for what it is and what it can do for us and lets not hide behind it and not use it to replace real communication with one another :)

3 comments:

  1. I don't have a smart phone, but I love using "World Time Buddy" on Google Chrome, it makes skype calls easier to plan when I don't have to keep all the time zones in America straight :-) Love this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily most people I know are currently in Korea or South Africa (which has 1 time zone )- but I can imagine that your app makes a world of a difference to you :) Thanks Alissa for sharing. awesome...

      Delete
  2. Hahahah!!! Your alarm is the BEST!

    ReplyDelete